Thursday 22 September 2005

Ode to a Friend


Ode to a Friend
I'm missing an old friend of mine, a faithful companion who has stayed with me through the good times and the bad. She has provided enlightenment in times of need; humour in times of sadness; a sense of place when the concept of 'home' was fading away.

I woke up to her foreign, then insatiably domestic musings on many dark, early mornings, only to return home late at night to hear her tell me about how the day transpired. We have conversed in silence during the making of countless meals (though I did most of the listening). I have been her pupil, her fan and her friend.

She's both effusive and mundane; diverse and consistent; youthful and wise. She's a member of my family, just as I am a member of hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment